As part of Sandyford Smarter Travel and arising from proposals in the Sandyford Urban Framework Plan 2010-2016, a numbers of infrastructure projects have been completed in the Sandyford Business District:
- Blackthorn Road is now 2-way from Burton Hall Road to Blackthorn Avenue.
- Traffic signals, with improved pedestrians and cycle facilities, have been provided at two junctions; Blackthorn Road / Burton Hall Road and Blackthorn Road / Blackthorn Avenue.
- Improved pedestrians facilities have been provided across Blackthorn Avenue at the Sandyford and Stillorgan Luas Stops.
- Traffic Signal sequencing has been modified at the junction of Blackthorn Avenue/ Stillorgan Luas stop to facilitate improved traffic flows to and from Kilmacud Road Upper.
- New cycle lane and cycle tracks have been provided along Blackthorn Avenue linking the Sandyford Greenway (new mainly off-road pedestrian and cycle route between Leopardstown Road and the Sandyford Luas Stop) and Benildus Avenue.
- Footway upgrades along Blackthorn Avenue and Blackthorn Road.
- Removal of the bus gate on Carmanhall Road to allow through traffic in each direction on Carmanhall Road near Dunne’s Stores
- Provision of new road surfacing on Blackthorn Road and Blackthorn Avenue.
The main aim of these works was to improve circulation and permeability within the Sandyford Business District for all road users and to create a more friendly environment for cyclists and pedestrians, as per the Objectives TAM6 and TAM7 of the Sandyford Urban Framework Plan. The proposed works will also help reduce traffic speeds on roads in the area and will provided improved access routes to the Luas and Bus stops for those living and working in the area.
As part of the works, a map was also produced showing alternative exit routes from the Sandyford Business District during peak travel times.